Magnetic particle testing is utilized to inspect ferromagnetic materials (those that can be magnetized) for defects located at or near the surface.
This technique is highly effective in detecting cracks, stress fractures, and other surface flaws. Lead NDT commonly utilizes mag particle testing for the inspection of handling tools such as slips, elevators, bales, etc.
- Large surface areas of complex parts can be inspected rapidly
- Can detect surface and subsurface flaws
- Surface preparation is less critical than with penetrant inspection
- Magnetic particle indications are produced directly on the surface of the part and form an image of the discontinuity or defect
- Equipment costs are relatively low